Roasted Mexican Street Corn - Vegan, Easy, Delicious
How have I never heard of Mexican street corn before this summer?? I feel like I've been boiling corn my whole life like a sucker, missing out on this extremely delicious and easy way to prepare corn that literally has blown my mind.
I'm not sure what actually determines if corn qualifies as "Mexican street corn".. I'm not Mexican nor did I prepare this on the street lol but on google it says it is: roasted with served with a cream sauce and seasonings, so that's pretty much what this is. I was a little skeptical when I was making it, thinking I was wasting my time and it wasn't going to be anything extra then regular corn but when I bit into I actually turned to my boyfriend and said "Omg I can't believe how good this taste".. So if you are going to try any recipe try this one! Not only is it super good but it's so easy!
Also corn isn't really much of a meal on its own (even though I could totally eat a plate full of this corn and call it a day!) but I've have included a little "Taco" kind of salad I had with it as well if you're looking for something extra to accompany the corn.
So lets jump in..
Roasted Mexican Street Corn
Vegan - Quick - Easy - Delicious
- 3 ears of corn (all the leafy stocks and stingy bits removed )
- 1 1/2 Tbsp vegan butter
- 1/2 tsp Taco Spice
- 1/3 cup Vegan mayo
- 1/2 tsp Sriracha sauce (or more depending on spice preference)
1. Put vegan butter in a small bowl and microwave in 15 second intervals until fully melted and mix in 1/4 tsp of taco spice.
2. Heat BBQ grill on medium-high heat and place corn on grill. Roast and rotate corn every 2-3 minutes, watch it carefully so it doesn't burn too much. It is suppose to be a little charred and if a few kernels pop that's fine too.
3. After one full rotation brush the corn with the melted butter mixture using a bbq brush. Repeat the process again of rotating the corn every 2-3 minutes and brush with the butter mixture after every rotation.
4. After all the butter mixture is used and the corn is looking nice and roasted transfer to a plate to get them all dressed up.
5. Sprinkle corn with 1/4 tsp taco seasoning and some pepper to taste (you shouldn't need salt, the taco seasoning is plenty salty)
6. Mix together about 1/3 cup of mayo with about 1/2 tsp sriracha sauce (you can add more if you like it spicier). I added my mixture to a squirt bottle so I could make it look all pretty and easy to drizzle over the corn but it's up to yourself, you can drizzle with a spoon or knife or however you like, it's going to be tasty either way!
7. Sprinkle on some chopped green onion, serve & enjoy!
Honestly I could probably eat all 3 ears of corn for a meal and be a happy camper however I had to share with my boyfriend and just roasted corn isn't a very well balanced meal.
So I enjoyed a Taco salad with my corn which consisted off:
- Red kidney beans (slightly mashed with 1/4 tsp taco seasoning and some pepper)
- Red onions
- Diced peppers
- Romaine lettuce
- Salsa as the dressing
- Crushed corn chips (added after I had taken all my photos, opps!)
& There you have it! A very tasty BBQ option for us plant based people. I hope you enjoyed reading me recipe and I really hope you try it :) if you do please let me know how it turned out! I'd love it hear it.
All the best,