Easy Vegan Spaghetti
I know anyone who is vegan has probably already made their own vegan version of spaghetti. Spaghetti was actually the first vegan meal I actually made for myself and it was pretty good then and it's even better now!
So my main point I wanted to make with this recipe is how EASY it can be to make vegan versions of some of your favorite recipes!
One thing I want to touch on before I get started is I want to talk a little about TVP. For those of you who don't know what that is it's "textured vegetable protein". You can get this at lots of grocery stores, health food stores, at bulk barn or delivered right to your door from amazon. The kind I use is bobs red mill. TVP is an easy way to bump up the protein content of lots of vegan dishes. I use it all the time in places where I would once use ground beef. Its easy to prepare and be seasoned tons of way! If you haven't tried it you should definitely invest in some (I use the word invest loosely, I'm pretty sure this bag cost me 3 dollars) Get your own here :)
So lets dive in..
Easy Vegan Spaghetti + Garlic Bread
- 1 Medium Onion, Diced
- 1 1/2 cups Mushrooms Chopped
- 2 Cloves of garlic, minced (Side not, mincing garlic is the absolute worst! I highly recommend getting a garlic press!)
- 1 Red pepper diced
- 1 Tomato diced
- 1 Cup TVP
- 2 Tbsps Tamari (or Soy Sauce)
- 1/2 Tsp Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/4 cup basil + more for garnish
- 1 Jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce (I love classico)
- 2 Tbsp Sun dried tomatoes
- 1 Handful Spinach
- 1 pack of Spaghetti Noodles (I use whole wheat)
- Salt & Pepper
- Bread of your choice (I love the steady Eddie bread!)
- Vegan butter
- Garlic powder
- Vegan Cheese
- Simulated soy bacon bits
Alright lets get started!
- Preheat your oven to 350 (for the garlic bread) & boil a kettle of water.
- In a large bowl add 1 cup of TVP with 1/2 tsp each chili powder & smoked paprika and the 2 tbsp of tamari. Once the kettle is boiled add 1 cup of hot water to the bowl, stir to combine & set aside.
- Add some water to a sauce pan and turn on medium heat. Add your onions, garlic & mushrooms and saute for about 5 minutes until the onions are a bit translucent (you don't need oil to fry your onions! water works just as well)
- Add thd diced tomato, red pepper, sun dried tomato and prepared TVP to your sauce pan & stir to combine.
- Add your pasta sauce (I used classico tomato & basil!) and reduce your heat down to a simmer. Add your basil and handful of spinach now and mix well to combine and simmer until the spinach wilts.
- While your sauce is simmering prepare your pasta as per the package directions & lets start our garlic bread!
- On the bread you're simply going to put vegan butter, a sprinkle of garlic powder, your vegan cheese & simulated bacon bits (in the order) and pop in the oven for 5-10 mins. (The type of vegan cheese you have here is a big factor, some of it doesn't melt very well and you may have to broiler it for a second, I used chaos brand cheese slices, I know it doesn't look great because I broiled it a little too long but I swear it tasted really good!)
- Once your noodles & garlic bread are cooked it's time to prepare your plate! I like to do a nice bed of noodles with the sauce on top, some vegan Parmesan & more fresh basil! (The vegan parm is on my goulash recipe linked below)
One thing I really want to stress with this recipe is that it's versatile! If you don't have sun dried tomatoes just leave it out, if you don't have TVP you can substitute for veggie ground round or even a can of beans or lentils! If you want to add more basil, make your own sauce, whatever you want you can do it! Eating plant based does not have to be as complicated as some people think it is.
Speaking about how easy plant based cooking can be I wanted to share a few things I used in this recipe that might may your cooking experience a little easier. One is a garlic press, I am obsessed with mine, I hate mincing garlic, it makes my fingers smell and I feel like i never mince it small enough so I bought a garlic press and it just makes me happy every time I use it. Get you own here:)
So I hope you try my veganized version of spaghetti, or even if you have your own recipe or variation I'd love to hear about it! Let me know in the comments below or contact me on social media.
Hope to hear from you & I hope you enjoy! :)
All the best!
Check out my other recipes :)